Talon Engineering Limited
Specialising in high specification motorcycle parts, Talon Engineering have a deserved reputation for excellence. With a large share of the business being for export, and a dizzying array of products, options and end-user applications, this is a complex and fast moving company working in a highly visible sector.
Talon export their popular products to thirty-five countries, with distributors all over the world, in Europe, the United States of America, Japan and Australia. In fact, over seventy percent of our business lies in the export marker. At the moment there are over seventy-five different world champions that ride with the help of Talon parts.
In addition to motorcycle parts, Talon also manufacture high quality engineered items for aerospace, automotive and general engineering applications to customer specifications. The company has been in business for over 40 years and is still privately owned.
Sales and Logistics
Initially Talon were looking for a solution to their order processing issues.
Key features of the uzERP implementation:
- High volume of orders from many customers
- Stock and build to order execution
- Trade-counter functionality for wal-in sales
- Workflow allowing stock picking and reservation by department
- Pricing by customer/channel type to cover their various markets
Ensuring that motorcycle owners get the correct parts for their application is always a challenge. uzERP’s product selector module allows Talon to select motorcycle applications by manufacturer, model and year. Each application is matched to items in the catalogue, allowing sales people to advise customers on which parts are available for their motorcycle with confidence.
Talon uses the full suite of accounting applications and benefits from the tight integration with Sales and Purchasing workflows.
- Trade counter receipts by credit card are posted during order processing and captured in the accounting system to the correct merchant account
- Accurate Debtors and Creditors ledgers allow cash flow and business forecasting
Talon use many custom reports covering Sales, Operations, Planning and Accounting providing timely and accurate information. Key data is also delivered to Microsoft Excel - using a direct, live connection to uzERP - where it can be reviewed and analysed using pivot tables.
Recently, a series of dashboards have been developed - fed directly from uzERP - to monitor business performance using Superset, a modern, enterprise-ready business intelligence application.
Materials and Production Planning
uzERP has many features for manufacturers, including:
- Multi-level bill of materials (BOM)
- Routing operations
- Sales and purchase item availability screens, showing end-item shortages/surplus
- Work order paperwork generation; route card, material list, etc.
- Materials back-flushing on Work Order completion
In 2018 Talon asked us to suggest a solution for materials and production planning and we introduced the Frepple planning tool with full integration with uzERP that allows Talon to:
- Plan both materials and production, taking account of current load and demand
- Bring the plan into uzERP in the form of purchase orders and work orders to execute and have visibility, shop documentation, etc.
Integration between Frepple and uzERP comprises of the following:
Frepple uzERP Connector
- Import of sales demand, stock position, open work orders, open purchase orders and master data from uzERP
- Generation of the plan, work orders and purchasing requirements, taking account of available materials, capacity and inventory policies
- Export of work orders and purchase requirements to uzERP
- Planned purchase review and order creation
- Work order release